Monday, October 13, 2008

Blue Grass Island

Do you love to go exploring? There aren't enough places where you can wander. I'm all about staying on the marked trails but every once in a while it's fun to explore. We went exploring in Maumee this weekend. John and I have always enjoyed Side Cut Park. We frequently went on dates there to wander around on the trails. I can tell you seventeen years ago I would have never imagined us taking the same walks with three little ladies along for the ride. I'll let you in on a secret. The river runs low in the summer and you can walk across on the dry riverbed to Blue Grass Island. During Walleye season fishermen frequent the island and leave a great trail around the island and one going through the center(that's where the tall grasses are.)

We tossed rocks. John has the best photos of rocks hanging in mid air.
Picking safe paths across the rocks is always fun! Paige would have nothing to do with it, so she's on my hip. I sure wish I still had by baby sling.


Trails were either viny and leafy or tall grasses.

While wandering on trails we sometimes John finds the best spots for pictures. There was absolutely no way that I was getting up on that branch. Syd wasn't sure that it would be safe.

I love this photo from the tip of the island. The girls were so excited to see the end and start down the other side.Love this, nature's stepping stones.
Did I mention that the river is low. This is the south side of Grass Island towards Perrysburg. I have to tell you that this is when Sydney's legs became "too tired". Now you all know that not five minutes later she started asking when she would finally get to play on the playground. Girls, go figure.
Our girls sent sticks floating down the river, found shells, touched rapids and got to pretend to be explorers.

This sign was at least 150 feet in from the edge of the island. We loved that there was nothing on it, perfect time to fill in the blank.

Just b.e.a.utiful.

Kate's sun rock or turtle rock, we couldn't decide. Some former explorer has a great sense of humor.
Had to come home and identify some plants, these are Red Osier Dogwood berries.
Watching the "little fishies". Yep the girls were all excited about the view. They also wanted to take some home to put in the fish tank! See what happens when I suggest a natural aquarium. I would like to announce the end of The Rapp Families Three Hour Tour. After three hours of walking we had three tired but intrepid explorers. Although we did end up at the playground and someone's legs weren't to tired anymore.

6 comments:

Live well, Laugh often, Love much ~Maria said...

I miss you! The Simons and the Rapps need to go on a three hour tour somewhere. Although, I'm not sure if the parents are up to that much "personality" in one setting? ;0)

M2 (Melissa) said...

Great pictures! You always have the best pictures on your blog! The girls are so cute - oh you guys are cute too!

Creative Minx said...

I think James & I are going to have to become explorers of Blue Grass. I'll say "Susan has this cool place to go that you don't know about" and then he'll probably say "I've been there before" haha Love the pic of everyone on the tree branch!

Creative Minx said...

Yes, of course he's been there before!

Leslie said...

Hi friend, I just wanted to thank you for all of your love and support yesterday. Well....everyday, but yesterday you were my angel. You and your family are so dear to me.
Love to you, see you and Miss Paige on Monday!
Leslie

Leslie said...

My dear friend, I am writing you to let you know you are on my mind, I know you have not posted in a while, but maybe this will inspire you to get back in the groove! I have nominated you for the Kreativ Blog Award, there is no one that I know that can turn anything she touches into a work of art! You are such an inspiration to me! You need to go to my blog to pick up your award.
Love to you, Leslie