Thursday, October 2, 2008

The Candy Man.....

Some things in life you just can't remember not having. One of mine is our Candy Man, Uncle Jim. He was always ready every Sunday at church with candy for all of the children in our ward(mormon talk for congregation.) There were periods of time when he was asked not to bring candy by some concerned parent. If I remember correctly the Prohibition didn't work. We just had to go out to his trunk to get a boot legged sweet treat. Technically speaking he isn't my "uncle" but since when do technicalities count?
I remember our family going to visit Uncle Jim and Aunt Bonnie for Sunday evening dinner and watching him actually make biscuits. In my house dad gardened and did yard work but didn't cook and I was impressed! As I go on I don't mention Aunt Bonnie very much but as all wives know behind every great man there is a great woman and that's what she is. I think her main job is to keep him out of as much trouble as possible, while putting up with his sass. Back to my childhood...Oh, Uncle Jim could remove his dentures. For years I wondered where he kept finding such big peices of candy that look liked teeth! I know, I know, so gullible, but listen I was little then. Uncle Jim and Aunt Bonnie had dogs! Obviously we didn't...but these dogs were AMAZING to my little self. They were Weiner dogs, named Snoopy and Newton and I thought they were the cutest dogs I had ever seen. Not to mention the amazing Garbage Can Dinners they threw every summer. What could be cooler than cooking dinner in a trash can at the park across the street from their house? I was very worried about how clean that was, until I was told that he only used new garbage cans. Did I mention that during the blizzard of 78' he rescued us. My dad was stranded out of town on business. My mom was home with two little girls and no electricity. My mom handled it well. She bundled Brandy and I up in snowsuits, boots, gloves and newspaper, as an extra protective layer, and pulled us out of the neighborhood on a sled. Uncle Jim drove as far as he could and then rode in with the National Gaurd to come into our neighborhood and then took us to his home. I loved our adventure and remember making snow angels. He has always made us feel a part of his family.
But the reason every child for miles around loves Uncle Jim....even if he isn't their Uncle...is that he is the CANDY MAN with a capitol C. He always has a treat for the kids. Exhibit A the following photos of my daughters and neices gathering like a flock of birds as soon as his car pulls up in my driveway. Paige yells, "Him , Him, he's here."

Addie and Paige getting a big hug.


Kate moving in for the hug and birthday present. Ten dollars or jewelry which do you think she took? Yep the jewelry. She's definitely my girl.
Whatchya bring? Whatchya bring?
I win! I got my treat first.

Sweet little thing isn't she?

There's our Hanna always ready for my camera. She has the cutest pose ever.
Since I've been out on my own, you know a "grownup". I can't remember a birthday, birth, hospital stay that Uncle Jim hasn't remembered. It helps that he plays all of the most important dates in the lottery frequently. I have recieved over the years...candy, roses, mums to actually plant, Christmas Ornaments engraved for each child and my wedding and when life was really hard he frequently stopped by with a piece of Chocolate Pie from Smuckers. These are my birthday flowers this year. Thanks Uncle Jim! I know that I can say for my sisters that we are glad to be a part of your family.Posted by Picasa

2 comments:

Leslie said...

What a great uncle you have friend. Is he interested in adopting another neice?!! See you tonight, Leslie

Laura and Jade said...

You made a small little tear form in my eye just now! Any one that know him will understand how great or a dirty old man he is! I know that we love him!