Thursday, December 31, 2009

The Fire Swamp


So John was coughing today. Any cough he has sends me into Wibbeler Worrying Overdrive, hereafter to be known as WWO. I mentioned a doctor's visit and being worried about pneumonia. He says, "It's kind of like the Fire Swamp honey. We know about the ROUS's. We can handle that."
Here's a quick run down of what really happened in the fire swamp. Buttercup: That's the fire swamp! We'll never survive Wesley: Nonsense! You're only saying that because no one ever has.

Buttercup and Westley have just entered the Fire Swamp]
Westley: [looking around] It's not that bad. [Buttercup stares unbelievingly at him] Westley: Well, I'm not saying I'd like to build a summer home here, but the trees are actually quite lovely. After a bout with lightning sand...
Buttercup: We'll never succeed. We may as well die here.
Westley: No, no. We have already succeeded. I mean, what are the three terrors of the Fire Swamp? One, the flame spurt - no problem. There's a popping sound preceding each; we can avoid that. Two, the lightning sand, which you were clever enough to discover what that looks like, so in the future we can avoid that too.
Buttercup: Westley, what about the R.O.U.S.'s? Westley: Rodents Of Unusual Size? I don't think they exist. [Immediately, an R.O.U.S. attacks him]

After surviving their ordeal...
BUTTERCUP: (almost in disbelief) We did it.
WESTLEY: Now, was that so terrible?

On being surrounded by Prince Humperdink and his men...
Westley: Ah, but how will you capture us? We know the secrets of the Fire Swamp. We can live there quite happily for some time. So, whenever you feel like dying, feel free to visit.

Okay. I'm quite sure that I don't want to live in the fire swamp. Don't want to go back to pneumonia land. Really, did you see what they looked like after their ordeal? Love the movie and I am usually the optimist in my marriage, come to think of it in my family in general. But the Fire Swamp, NO THANK YOU. Although that John Rapp can come up with a great analogy. So very tricky using one of my favorite movies on me for a life lesson.

0 comments: