Monday, November 5, 2007

It's done.

Today I started out knowing that I would have to pack up the last of the paper trays, take down one more display and pick up all the odds and ends that were left at "the Paper". John was already there and working. I was frantically loading up two very busy little girls into our car (named "Larry Boy" after a famous superhero from Veggie Tales...no wonder Syd likes to eat vegetables so much.)

Okay focus, focus. I started to drive down the street. Suddenly I saw all of these papers flying out behind my car, in the ditch, in the street, in a couple of yards. "I don't remember seeing them when I drove through there a second ago." I know ha, ha it really did take me a few seconds to realize that the confetti behind my car all belonged to me. I have my store paperwork, home paperwork all organized into neat folders in the binder that I happened to leave on TOP of Larry Boy while buckling in Paige. It was fun watching my life fly all over the neighborhood. Did I mention that today it was WINDY with a capital W.

So I pulled over and went to work. A man that lives in our neighborhood drove by with the front part of his rig and leaned out, "That's gotta stink." Duh buddy...he was of no help but rigs do make papers fly around even more. I debated between laughing maniacly or crying and then decided this was too good of a story so crying would have to be out of the question. I should have known something was going to happen. Since starting out the day I was soooo proud that I had taken a shower and shaved for the first time in a week, the shaving was the big deal, not the showering. Then to find myself not an hour later in our neighborhood ditch with mud on my feet, in my shoes, on my legs...I tell you why do I still bother to try to clean myself.

After collecting half of the paperwork that was still blowing this way and that did I realize this might be a fun game for Sydney. At age four running around neighbors yards, under bushes and repeatedly hearing me say..."not the street Syd. I'll get the street." What more could a little girl ask for? Mission accomplished, papers picked up, Mom still mostly sane, and one little girl pretty proud that she helped her mom and her only request when we got back in the car. Mom can I choose the Cootties song on the Hairspray CD. I loved that!

Sometime I'll have to tell you about our temporary paper tray storage solution (hilarious, ingenious a very John Rapp solution)...but not tonight. I am now off to bed. I don't have to go to "The Paper" tomorrow and I'm a little sad, a little excited but right now I'm just working on having peace. ~Susan

P.S. Sorry I didn't take any "Susan's life flying all over the neighborhood" photos, I was a little distracted. Like a good scrapbooker should I at least journalled it for posterity.

2 comments:

melly~ said...

did you think to yourself, "we are -so- screwed!" ?
glad to hear this fiasco didn't push you right over the edge. and the shaving thing? highly overrated. i'm growing my winter coat. ;)

Amy. said...

I once left a Yoo-Hoo chocolate drink can on my car roof while yelling at my arguing kids while trying to get everyone loaded. Once we finally pulled away from the parking spot and into the road the can clunked down my roof, down the side of the car and splatted into the street. At first I thought "Who threw a can at my car?" Until I realized...Duh, it was our can. Your story was much better than mine!!! I laughed about the shaving part, too!
Amy