Wednesday, April 16, 2008

Yummy Cheddar Cheese Bread




Baking makes me happy.
While cleaning out our recipe file
I discovered a recipe for Cheddar Cheese Bread.
It was written by Skrappinguy and he only saves
"important" recipes.
So I knew if I tried it we'd like it.
Well the results were, well, YUMMY!
I love the smell of bread rising.
Then the amazing smell of bread baking.
Then my favorite, warm bread straight from the oven,
with REAL butter on top.
I let the calorie counting go for yesterday.
Kate was thrilled when I took it out of the oven
right after she got off the bus.
Paige devoured hers.
Syd "loved it."
John told me after he ate his bread that this was
his Grandma Kathryn's recipe.
What can I say about Grandma Kathryn?
Well she was funny, bold, and obviously a great baker.
I missed her all over again yesterday.
I think we just started a
Cheddar Cheese Bread tradition.

Grandma Kathryn's Cheddar Cheese Bread

1 package Yeast
1/4 cup warm Water
1 1/2 cups milk
2 Tbs Sugar
2 1/2 cups Cheddar Cheese Grated
3 Tbs Cooking Oil
1 1/2 tsp Salt
5-6 cups Flour

Sprinkle the yeast into the warm water. Stir, let stand for a few minutes until dissolved. Heat the rest of the ingredients, except flour until lukewarm. No the cheese won't all be melted but it will be o.k. Pour over yeast mixture. Add about 1/2 the flour. Mix well, continue adding flour until it is a stiff dough. Take the ball of dough out of the bowl and knead the rest of the flour in...this will make a smoother dough. Grease bowl, place dough in and turn it over. Cover with a cloth and let rise until double (about an hour maybe more.) Punch down and shape into 2 loaves. Grease two 9 by 5 by 3 loaf pans, place dough in pans. Let rise until double. Bake in a 350 degree oven for about 40 minutes.
Enjoy!

0 comments: