Sunday, July 5, 2009

Happy Birthday Dad!

What do you get for a dad who doesn't "need" anything and really doesn't expect a Birthday gift? A photo you say. Well my dad has five daughters and one son who are really into photography... and he has no more room for new photos. Except to replace the old ones. Which is another project not to be tackled today. When I lived at home and had no dollars I would bake for my dad.I thought since today I have technically no dollars and a rockin new giant cupcake pan to use, I would again bake for my dad. My dad love Pineapple Upside Down Cake. I had to figure out how to make those flavors into a cupcake. Here are the recipes I used...


Ingredients:
8 ounces cream cheese, softened
1/2 cup vegetable oil, such as canola, corn oil, or safflower oil
3 large eggs
1 cake mix (18.5 ounces) butter cake mix with pudding in the mix
1 can (15 1/4 ounces) crushed pineapple, drained
2 tablespoons lemon juice

Preparation:
Grease and flour a 12-cup Bundt cake pan. Heat oven to 325°.
In a large mixing bowl with an electric mixer, beat cream cheese with oil and eggs until well blended. Blend in the cake mix and beat on high speed for 2 minutes. Beat in drained pineapple and lemon juice. Spoon into a Bundt cake pan. Bake for 45 to 55 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in center comes out clean. Cool in pan on rack for 15 minutes. Carefully invert onto a cake plate to cool completely. Frost or dust with powdered sugar.

Ingredients
12 ounces cream cheese, room temperature
3/4 cup (1 1/2 sticks) unsalted butter, room temperature
3/4 cup (packed) golden brown sugar
2 1/4 cups powdered sugar
1 1/2 tablespoons frozen orange juice concentrate, thawed(I used lemon juice. Meant to use the pineapple juice from the cake but I forgot to save it!
1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
Preparation
Using electric mixer, beat cream cheese and butter in large bowl until fluffy. Add brown sugar; beat until well blended. Add powdered sugar 1/2 cup (scant) at a time, beating well after each addition. Beat in orange juice concentrate and vanilla. Chill until firm enough to spread, about 30 minutes.
yield: Makes about 3 1/2 cups

Dad's favorite color...Orange. We created orange frosting and used orange sprinkles and orange "sparkly sugar." The cake and frosting were delicious. We all took turns frosting the cake. Okay, I actually let the girls each frost one knifeful a piece... then took over due to my perfectionism and lack of patience on a Sunday afternoon. The results were as seen below.

Yes, I made this. Yes, it does look like a kindergarten project gone wrong. Can you tell I have ZERO cake decorating skills. Nope not one. Really the frosting got warm and started to slide down the edges. Note the small drips. The "Sparkly Sugar" was a big hit with the girls. Especially when I wound up wearing most of it. Open car windows and sparkly sugar don't go together well. I just love being sparkly and sweet! Dad loved the cake, as much as my dad can love a cake. The girls loved gifting it. I, well, I learned a lot about what not to do when frosting a giant 3 dimensional cupcake. Can't wait to try again!

0 comments: