Thursday, July 2, 2009

Ladybug factory...

Today I made an amazing discovery! While in the process of relocating my ornamental grasses I found this little guy. He may look "like an alligator" according to the Rapplings but he turns into one of our favorite beneficial garden buddies. Paige holding her "little larva buddy."
Eggs are flat and yellow... they are EVERYWHERE. Paige wanted to eat some eggs. "No sweetie, those aren't like the chicken eggs that we eat." That child will put anything in her mouth. Mr. Matt, a horticulturalist at TBG, discovered her trying to eat Milkweed today....yep, a little poisonous. We have to watch her every second.
One more Larva...
This is the Pupa stage of the Lady Beetle. They are stuck to the blades of grass. Kind of like a chrysalis.
Here is the process come full circle. I was just so excited to have these visitors. I remember my dad buying ladybugs by mail order when I was little. I feel like I just had Christmas. It doesn't take a lot to make my day, just thought I'd share.

1 comments:

Creative Minx said...

That is so fun! Ladybugs rock (the ones that don't bite) Have a wonderful fireworks event tonight!