Sunday, April 26, 2009

Our very little "Orchard"

We were all escaping into the sunshine Friday...including the plants from the studio. Those plants spent a lot of time creeping back out every time I would turn them to stay inside out of the elements. The plan of the day? My very own orchard! Okay it's only three trees...which may not seem like a lot. Once each tree is mature they will give 4-5 bushels of apples per tree, if I can manage to take care of them right!

So, I was busy, busy, busy! Thursday I predug a hole for use on Friday. Friday before we went to Zero Landfill John pruned a lilac bush that was half dead...the trick? He used his saws all(everyone take note that this only works if you have a dead tree or want a dead tree!) Everyone knows powertools are much more fun than regular old pruning. I dug up the remaining portion of the bush which suddenly decided to split, (oops!) and become two bushes. We manhandled them to the front yard and tucked them in.

Later in the afternoon I decided where I wanted the trees exactly...John checked my spacing...dwarf trees need to be eight feet apart...and then his tape measure literally fell apart. But I was amazed that placement by eye was absolutely perfect. John tilled two widths with the rototiller. Then it was my turn to dig the holes, mix horse manure in with the soil for fertilizer, plant the trees and then water. The trees, three in total came together in a five foot tall box with bare roots. This necessitated rehydrating the trees in a large bucket of water for a few hours which I did remember to start in the morning. My hilarious moment...the horse manure was by my back garden...I took the wheelbarrow and shoveled it all in.(Thanks again to Sissy the horse and Miss Charlene for her horse manure delivery service!) I felt the handle starting to give...it is a very very old wheelbarrow but made it to the "orchard" with no disasters! As I made the manure delivery to the third and final hole it snapped. One handle completely G-O-N-E gone. Honestly I break things all the time! Syd wanted to know why I was holding the wheel barrow funny when I put it away. I picked up the handle waved it in the air...her eyes lit up and she smiled her little minxlette smile...OHHHHHHHHH! Yep sweetie, mom's done it again. Really my ability to drop, break, rip, bruise etc. have become legendary. That's one seriously good skill....right????

The definition of an orchard is, "An intentional planting of trees or shrubs maintained for food production." Of course I looked up the definition! A girl has to know that she's using the correct terminology in her garden. We planted three trees, found here...one has been claimed by each girl. I love that they have "their own" tree. You'll love how very TALL(that's a joke just take a gander) the trees are compared to each girl. (Kate, sweetie, your photo didn't turn out we'll take one after school tomorrow!) You think I'm nuts? My dad had 18??? (right dad?) yes EIGHTEEN fruit trees, two grape arbors and a vegetable garden in his little backyard.

Paige with "her tree" the 2 in 1 Pie Apple Tree which is cool because there are two varieties of apples grafted on this tree. Grannysmith and Arkansas Black...ripen in late September/early October and they will pollinate the other, also keep in cold storage for 10 months.
Sydney with her Golden Delicious...YUMMMMY. I remember eating these fresh of the tree growing up. I absolutely HAD to have these in our "orchard." Ripens late September.

"Kate's tree" is a Honeycrisp apple. It is a newer variety but crisp, sweet and yummy. Ripens early September. Kate's photo will be posted ASAP.

There is something amazing about growing your own fruit! It's a little bit of a Miracle watching a flower turn into a delicious fall treat. So try some berry plants and if you're feeling brave maybe a tree or two.


Posted by Picasa

0 comments: