Wednesday, August 5, 2009

Summer Field Day at Owens...

As a Master Gardener Intern I get to learn lots of fun stuff, for me anyway, and voluteer for some pretty interesting events. Now you all know that the best part of volunteering is that you can get in for zero dollars. Which in my world is pretty essential. When my gardening buddy Karen told me she was volunteering and that I should too. I called up to add my name to the list of volunteers and there was still room. The girls all went to Tera's house to play...God Bless that woman! They had so much fun and after keeping them all day she fed us dinner too!
I volunteered to be the event photographer. Yeah! That meant I could sneak into all of the classes. I called my dad to let him know about the event. Yeah not so good on the prior planning part for him. Sorry dad! He came and enjoyed himself immensely. Here are couple photos of the day....A lesson that I should really remember about sun protection.
My lunch table friends. The bottom left is Karen....and we discovered that all of the ladies we were with are Master Gardeners from Bowling Green. And who knew that I would be fascinated by the turf class I was supposed to stop in and catch a few photos of. Ohio States Mr. Joseph Rimelspach sure does know how to make grass pathology interesting. I had to run up after the event and let him know...I was that impressed and I was also sorry for sneaking out of class early to take more photos.
Grass blades, Turf and no I can't tell remember everything I learned but I did take the cheat sheet to help me remember. Thanks to Miss Miriam for going to class with me.
Dr. Jim Chatfield is a great teacher. He's been known to throw candy and cookies to especially astute students, which is only one of the reasons people love his classes. The only problem from my point of view is that he ALWAYS has the lights off. He states that he's really a vampire....well this is one of his more entertaining slides with him in profile. I could hear my dad laughing while I was in the hallway outside his class. It made me so happy to see him in his element enjoying himself. I love you dad.
This is Matt Ross from the Toledo Botanical Gardens and he's teaching on proper tree planting techniques. My dad loves his classes which is saying a lot.
This tree has a good root system.
The tree below well it just isn't going to make it. Please check out a tree before you buy it and if you have questions call your local extension office for tips.
The best part of the my day was when I was able to have a few of my gardening friends over to see my dad's garden....which is right down the street from OCC. If you're a gardener you know how fun it is to show off your garden. Sorry to bring home friends without warning you mom! Thanks for being a great hostess. Thanks to Karen, Miriam, and Matt for making my dad's day. Oh and Miss Miriam you absolutely should get a Master's in Horticulture. You really can do it!

0 comments: